Memory, I think its a single word we used to represent numerous abilities of us. Can you think about the life without memory. Storing information, remembering stored information or past experiences, decoding, encoding, and so on. Experts says that there are seven types of memory. But here going to explicate about pseudo memory otherwise false memory syndrome.
What is False Memory ?
As its name pseudo indicate, its a kind of fabricated or imaginary memory, but it seems real in your mind because of neurological or psychological dysfunction. False memory syndrome is also called as memory distortion, recovered memory, or pseudo memory. The extent of seriousness may varies from person to person.
Simply we can say an example of less serious situation of false memory in day to day life that, a person believes he forget to close the front door of his house and went back, but the door was actually closed. An another example with serious situation of false memory is, If a person believes that he saw a crime or got attached from someone etc but those events are not happened in real.
How False Memory Form ?
– We all have strong emotions in good and bad times too. Sometimes emotions from some situations will go in wrong way and makes unreliable memories.
– We doesn’t believe that our perceptions are always perfect. Sometimes it will go wrong. False memory may emerge from some inaccurate perceptions.
– Sometimes accurate and inaccurate memories will get mixed up and distort the memory.
– Different elements of different events will collide each other, and leads to difficulty in recollecting the actual element and respective event.
– Sometime we will make our own conclusions and inferences from an unclear frame.
– Some times on thinking about the past memories, it will get distorted. And people will start to believe that distorted memories as real.
Who Is More Vulnerable For False Memory ?
So many studies conducted with youth and middle aged adults shows that youth are more vulnerable to false memory, since people in adolescence are still in high brain development. Although false memories makes small impact later in life but sometimes the consequences may be harmful.